Question

Microsoft Teams failing to apply patch because it is currently running.

• 12 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge
Any solutions to the output below? We have such low compliance because everyone uses Teams. Failed to apply patches ("Teams Machine-Wide Installer..."): Error: Microsoft Teams is unable to patch because it is currently running.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey! Thank you for posting this! 
It is default behavior that our agent won’t force-close an app to run the patch/update. Our perspective is that it’s too disruptive to kill apps and processes without user consent. 

I will add your post as a point of support for our new agent & notification enhancements. No dates yet on that release but we’re excited to bring improvements to our agent that’ll enable this! 

For your immediate need, this is possible via worklet. My mind is jumping to the various requirements to check & steps involved in notifying users. 
We have a legendary worklet team, so I’ll get there take on how to craft this. 

(Similar type of worklet for Chrome patching on MacOS for reference)
https://console.automox.com/manage/worklet-catalog/235?

Userlevel 1

Hey @DavidV-Automox, I’ve noticed that we get a lot more errors with Teams because it is currently running, while Zoom seems to patch okay if it is running, and only generates an error if an actual call is in progress. We find it much easier to keep Zoom updated because of this. Is that more of a limitation in the Teams program/updater rather than a difference in how Automox updates them?

Userlevel 3

Hey @DavidV-Automox, I’ve noticed that we get a lot more errors with Teams because it is currently running, while Zoom seems to patch okay if it is running, and only generates an error if an actual call is in progress. We find it much easier to keep Zoom updated because of this. Is that more of a limitation in the Teams program/updater rather than a difference in how Automox updates them?

That is correct, the methods Zoom’s updater uses is better than Teams as it can update the application and suggest a restart of the app to finalize it. Teams doesn’t have this functionality, its an all or nothing updater. 

Badge

Can we add Zoom and Webex to this list of things that don’t update when they are running and also run on startup/login.

I am sure I will discover more as I delve further into the logs.

It’s like some things need to be updated on shutdown, which I could achieve by writing a run once scheduled task, but, it seems like a systemic solution would be more appropriate.