Skip to main content

I’ve looked at the example worklets. I’ve looked at the Chrome worklet I have for installing Chrome. I’ve looked at other powershell code. Nothing seems to work for me.

Every time I try to create a worklet it fails.

Is there a simple worklet example for Windows I can look at?

Here’s what I’m trying to do

1. check to see if the app is installed

2. If it isn’t installed, Install the app

3. If the app is installed, mark the policy as compliant

Thanks!

You probably want a Required Software Policy instead of a Worklet. That integrates in automatically checking first to see if the app is installed before it attempts to install it. All you have to do is upload the msi (or upload an exe and fill in the name and version fields) and then make sure your installer command looks good. Let me know if you’re able to get that working!

https://docs.automox.com/home/system-management/managing-policies/required-software-policy

I’ve been able to use the required software policy. It works. There are a few issues that we’ve run into.

I’ll use Notepad++ as an example

1. Install notepad++ with a required software policy

2. Update with patch all policy

3. Required software policy will install an older version - sees the new version as not compliant

We don’t want this. Is there a way to fix this inside of a required software policy?

Thanks!

I think I know what might be happening here. For third party software titles we support, we had to rename how that software is seen in Automox, due to issues with possible software name changes after a patch. In this instance, Notepad++ is listed in Automox as NotePadPlusPlus:

For any of the titles on this list:

https://docs.automox.com/home/software/third-party-software

make sure that you use the name that shows on the Software page of Automox, rather than what shows in add/remove programs on the PC.

If you put NotePadPlusPlus (with that exact capitalization) into the Package Name field, then it should recognize the software correctly. Automox accepts a higher version number as compliant with the RSP, so after you put in the correct Package Name it should no longer attempt to re-install over the top.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Here is a worklet for Notepad++ that you could use instead of the required software policy:

I was just looking at this last night. Took a bit, but I managed to change it up for an msi install. I’m not a programmer. Most of this is a bit over my head.

Thanks!

IT WORKS!

This is awesome. Just what I was looking for. I think this needs to be added to the documentation.

1. Didn’t see this info in the main documentation for required software policy

2. Saw something in the knowledge base about add remove programs

I’m calling this one done. For now anyway.