How have you used Generative AI in the past year? How did it help (or not help) you?

• 3 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge

Talk of Generative AI is taking over industry headlines, water cooler chat, and even our LinkedIn feeds.

But how many of us have actually gotten hands-on with Generative AI? If you have used Generative AI at work, how successful have those experiences been? 

We’d love to hear what the Automox Community has to say about Generative AI, so take a minute to reply with your answer to these questions:

How have you used Generative AI in the past year? What was the experience like? How did it help (or not help) you?

Here are some examples to get us started:

• Did you use it to write a script?
  • Did you use it to write traditional code instead of a low-code solution?
  • Did you use it to find information instead of a search engine?
  • Did you use it to identify vulnerabilities?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In the last six months, I've relied heavily on generative AI tools to write and edit code. While the code’s not always flawless, it usually serves as an excellent jumping-off point.

AI tools help me bridge the gap with languages I don't natively speak. My native programming language is Python since my background is automating test equipment – I've used Python and C++ extensively.

However, a few months ago, I needed to work on a project written completely in PHP. While logic stays the same across languages, syntax can be challenging to remember. I conveyed the requirements to ChatGPT and got a good base starting point so I could quickly troubleshoot into a working solution.

Without ChatGPT, I wouldn't have been able to diagnose the code’s problem areas and fix it so quickly. Even when I create projects in Python, it’s easier to pass the prompt to AI to get a good starting point.

I've also found AI tools to be invaluable when explaining code sections. Tackling backend issues and encountering ...less than helpful… comments from previous developers, I save considerable time inputting the code segment into an AI tool and requesting an explanation.

As an Automox employee, I will put the disclaimer here that I don’t recommend uploading proprietary code into AI systems.