Sticky Question

Win a Lego Otto Set: What's a fun project you're working on outside of work?

Userlevel 5
Badge

I thought it would be fun to have some additional questions each quarter that we could all respond to here in our welcome category! “Tell us a bit about yourself” is always a little too broad. 

So the question is: What's a fun project you're working on outside of work? 

By creating an account and answering this discussion question (or simply introducing yourself like normal) you will be entered to win a new Lego Otto set! Our employees have been going wild for these Lego sets so I think you’ll love them too! 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

My fun project is building out an automated lab using Hyper-V, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), UI++ from CMFTW as my base framework. 

• Hyper-V where the Virtual Machines live
  • MDT where a task sequence lives that installs and configures VMs
  • UI++ the front-end that pops-up at the start of the MDT process to allow one to choose their own adventure.

The fun part is then building out capabilities within this framework

• Build a domain controller and apply group policy
  • Build a web server with IIS ready to go
  • Build a SQL Server with SQL pre-installed
  • Build a Client System with Win10 or Win11
  • Have specific software installed or files copied
  • Turn on or off certain security features
  • Build an SCCM environment

The purpose of all this is to continue exploring my passion for building infrastructure, automation, security and all things configuration management.

Sadly, I’ve not focused my time on all this passion too heavily this year yet as my time is being pulled into my other hobbies like my kiddos, back country backpacking, and my pursuit of exercise and diet. 

• kiddos - I’ve got a fun family, including 7 months, 5, 7 and 9 years old. Girls are the youngest and the boys the oldest. We love to play chase, go nuts at the playground and explore nature together.
  • back country backpacking - I’ve had so much fun finding new gear and taking my first 26.2 mile through hike around Georgetown Lake in Texas.
  • exercise and diet - About two years ago I started getting up at 4:28am five days a week to hit a CrossFit workout. Five month’s ago I started a heavy interest in running 4-6 times a week and most recently started exploring a dietitians recommendations to meet the demands of my new lifestyle.  

Despite my lack of attention to my home lab, I’m going to hunker down and get some content up. For part one check-out my blog at https://www.wiredjack.com -- This very post is holding me accountable to finally put more than one post up. hahaha. Keep me honest folks!

Jack

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for sharing , Jack! I envy how you’re able to wake up at the very specific time of 4:28 am most days. Best of luck on your automated home lab - that’s pretty awesome! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am currently trying to build a small “nerd cave”! I have a few raspberry pi’s and I am turning one into a NES emulator  and the other will hopefully one day be the backbone to a planner type display! Trying hard to tear down the walls etc to get things cabled and hung! The wife is hapy/not happy with all the stuff I have to buy lol!!