Solved

worklet scheudule for software install

• 24 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

I have created a worklet to install a software to users machines and I want to know if I do daily install scheduled. does it by pass if the software already exist or it re-install on top of the existing install?

I need to deploy this to 900+ machines and as of now we have about 200 completed because some machines are offline during the manual automox install 

icon

Best answer by MarkH-Automox 24 July 2023, 22:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Screenshot indicating Compliance with a policy

Hi curioustoknow,

When a Worklet has completed its job (Remediation Code/Perform action), the Evaluation code is issued to the endpoint to determine compliance. IF the application (or condition) is present on the endpoint, flag it as compliant which prevents the Remediation code from running. If compliance is not met, you see a clock icon rather than a green checkmark, and that queues up the Remediation code to run, making the change on the endpoint.

Badge

do I need to make any changes on the evaluation or remediation code script?
right now I have 1 worklet that is set as “ required software” and it used a Powershell script to install the software

Start-Process msiexec.exe -Wait '/I vpntool64.msi /quiet PORTAL="test.portal.com"'

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

A Required Software policy works  in the same logical fashion using the ‘Scope’ as the equivalent of the Evaluation Code of a Worklet. In the Screenshot, compliance is determined by looking and the endpoint and saying ‘Is ‘Slack (Machine-MSI)’ installed on this computer?’ If yes, mark as compliant (green checkmark) and do nothing. If no, download the installer and run the powershell command with the attached schedule.

So the important part here is really that the scope matches what is installed on the endpoint, which you can validate by looking at the Software section of a device that already has the app installed.

Scope: Check to see if Slack is on endpoint, if not download/run powershell script and installer.

If Installed: green check mark for compliance, policy will not run.

Let me know if that helps clarify.

Badge

how do you accomplish this
Scope: Check to see if Xsoftware is on endpoint, if not download/run powershell script and installer.

so basically if the green mark is checked it means it is installed and the deployment will skip. if it not checked it will try to install it?

if my understanding is correct, then I can chnage the policy to scheudled and select my days/time and let it run daily

Userlevel 4
Badge

Correct. You can have a policy scheduled to run every single day (most aggressive approach) and it will not execute on ‘compliant’ devices. Only non-compliant devices.

To create the scope, look at a device with the app already installed and then just copy and paste it in the Package Name/Version fields.