Solved

Windows 11 21H2 to 23H2 Update

• 19 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a handful of Windows 11 21H2 devices that I would like to get to 23H2 so they can continue to receive security updates. How can I do this with Automox? We have had good success in getting Windows 10 devices using the worklet “Windows - Configuration - Windows 11 Feature Update” but any time that is run on a Win 11 21H2 device it simply checks out as already on Windows 11, and doesn’t apply anything.

I could be overlooking something as simple as including a specific update in our regular monthly patch policies, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. How have others done this?

icon

Best answer by JohnG-Automox 23 January 2024, 19:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Nick S,

It sounds like you are running this policy: https://console.automox.com/manage/worklet-catalog/0116a876-0f71-5b6e-b19e-69f3e8c2ff90

This will upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Check out this KB article, which allows you to specify the variables necessary to go to 23H2:  https://help.automox.com/hc/en-us/articles/6033390730260-Windows-Feature-Update-Registry-Worklet

Userlevel 3

Hi @Nick S,

The Windows - Configuration - Windows 11 Feature Update worklet is designed to perform an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using the Windows Installation Assistant tool.  In its current form, devices already on Windows 11 are deemed as compliant. This is why you seeing the aforementioned behavior.

If you are wishing to upgrade from Windows 11 22H2 to Windows 11 23H3, the easiest method would be to do so using a Patch Only policy scoping KB5027397.  This will deploy the 23H3 feature update via the Windows 11 enablement package.

Alternatively, if you still wish to use the worklet to push the upgrade, you can modify the remediation code to just include and call the Win11UpgradeWIA function.  This is the primary function that downloads and invokes the Windows Installation Tool to push the Windows 11 upgrade.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Badge

Hi @Nick S,

The Windows - Configuration - Windows 11 Feature Update worklet is designed to perform an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using the Windows Installation Assistant tool.  In its current form, devices already on Windows 11 are deemed as compliant. This is why you seeing the aforementioned behavior.

If you are wishing to upgrade from Windows 11 22H2 to Windows 11 23H3, the easiest method would be to do so using a Patch Only policy scoping KB5027397.  This will deploy the 23H3 feature update via the Windows 11 enablement package.

Alternatively, if you still wish to use the worklet to push the upgrade, you can modify the remediation code to just include and call the Win11UpgradeWIA function.  This is the primary function that downloads and invokes the Windows Installation Tool to push the Windows 11 upgrade.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks John,

I ended up editing the version of Windows the worklet was looking for, that worked out great.