Skip to main content

Considering the shift to remote work, managing mapped drives through group policy isn’t as effective as it would be with the majority of users being on premises. 

I would like to use shift to using Automox worklets to manage mapped network drives, but when I test using PowerShell commands like “New-PSDrive” it runs as the administrator and the drives don’t appear for the end user. 

My current solution is to drop a .cmd file into the startup folder, but this is inelegant. Is there a better way to do this?

Looks like this was covered in a previous post, but a solution wasn’t found.

Could leverage scheduled task running in the user context. 

copy-item script.ps1 C:\windows\temp\script.ps1

$TaskStartTime = (Get-Date)
$SchedService = New-Object -ComObject Schedule.Service
$SchedService.Connect()
$Task = $SchedService.NewTask(0)
$Task.RegistrationInfo.Description = 'Description'
$Task.Settings.Enabled = $TaskSchd
$Task.Settings.AllowDemandStart = $true
$Task.Settings.WakeToRun = $true
$trigger = $Task.triggers.Create(1) # https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/taskschd/triggercollection-create
$trigger.StartBoundary = $TaskStartTime.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH🇲🇲ss")
$trigger.Enabled = $true
$action = $Task.Actions.Create(0)
$action.Path = "c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe"
$action.Arguments = '-NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "C:\windows\temp\script.ps1"'
$taskFolder = $SchedService.GetFolder('\')
$taskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition("Task Name", $Task , 6, 'Users', $null, 4) | out-null

Hi @TJ_Coppola,

Better late then never here!

We’ve just published a new Worklet to our Catalog that will generate a scheduled task to map a network drive during your user’s next log on action. You can check it out here: 

Windows - Configuration - Map Network Drive via Scheduled Task

I hope this helps with your request!

Have a great day!