Question

Best practice to run worklet manually

• 29 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

We have many instances where we need to push out a specific piece of software to a single end user/device, when the device is online it is easy to handle this by manually running the policy by clicking “Run On This Device”.  But this does not seem to work / queue if the device is offline at the time, (at least in my experience) as such we have to carefully coordinate with the end user as opposed to simply pressing the button and the next time the device checks in it will run the script.

We have in the past moved a device to a one off group and scheduled it, but that gets messy and easy to forget the device was moved while we wait for worklet completion. Is there a better way to do this?

1 reply

Userlevel 3

Hi @danursuline!

If you’re looking to perform a basic software installation that is just targeted to one device, my recommendation would be to use a Required Software Policy with Device Targeting that scopes just your target device’s host name.

Unlike Worklets, Required Software policies have pre-established evaluation code that checks to see if the Package Name and Package Version exist on the device.  If there isn’t a match on the device, the software will install based on the defined schedule. By scoping just the host name in device targeting, you can ensure that only your one device receives the software.

To create a Required Software Policy with Device Targeting, go to the Manage Tab, Policies, click Create Policy, and then select Required Software:

Device targeting works by looking inside of a group for a device that matches your filtering. That said, be sure to associate your group here:

Now you can use Device Targeting to scope just your designated hostname:

Now build out your Required Software policy by entering the Package Name & Version, provide a brief install script with your desired parameters, and upload the install file:

Lastly, set up your schedule:

*Ensure that the “patch next time the device checks in” option is selected, that way if the device is offline at the time of the schedule, it will install the software once it comes back online. 

Required Software Policies and Device Targeting make it easy to perform enforced application installs to a devices that meet your scope.

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any questions.