Skip to main content
Solved

Windows - Manually Click "Check for Updates"

• 2 August 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

Last night we had a system reboot unexpectedly.  The policy used on this system is set to never reboot.  The end user told me that they manually went into Settings → Updates → Check for updates before they left for the day, which triggered a CU to download/install.  My question is, if a user manually checks for updates, clearly this overrides the Automox update policy.  But, does this also override the Automox reboot setting which is configured in the policy?  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey csmith6,

Automox Patching Policies and manual patching (via Settings → Updates → Check for Updates) are completely independent of each other. Automox Patch Policies do not enforce any settings on a device to not allow a user to Check for Updates manually, their main purpose is to apply any in scope patches available on the system.

For example, if I took my Windows PC and I updated and restarted manually, my device would be come completely up to date. I am able to do this as Automox Patching Policies do not prevent me from patching my device myself. The next time the device does an Automox Scan (Defined by the Group it’s in, generally every 24 hours) we will see the latest patch as being installed and not run the Policy, assuming there is nothing left to patch.

If you are experiencing any issues, please feel free to submit a ticket to our Support team at help.automox.com

Thank you!

Thanks for the quick response!

I just want to be clear.  So, the Automox ‘Do not enable automatic restarts after updates are installed’ setting for a policy only applies to patches that are pushed out and installed via that Automox policy?

So, installing an update via ‘settings-updates-check for updates’ will A) override the Automox group setting for ‘Disable OS automatic updates’ and 😎 will use the system defined reboot settings?

Does that sound correct?  Thanks for your patience in helping me to fully understand how this works!

I just want to be clear.  So, the Automox ‘Do not enable automatic restarts after updates are installed’ setting for a policy only applies to patches that are pushed out and installed via that Automox policy?

That’s right!

So, installing an update via ‘settings-updates-check for updates’ will A) override the Automox group setting for ‘Disable OS automatic updates’ and 😎 will use the system defined reboot settings?

This setting is different. “Disable OS Automatic Updates” on an Automox Groups prevents the device from applying Windows Updates by itself. This is done by setting a Registry Key on the target device. It will still allow for user intervention (in your case, Check for Updates) and Automox Policy runs.

If you need to disable a user from doing manual updates, we have a Worklet here to do.

Please let me know if you have further questions!