Remove IE11 from Windows 10

• 24 September 2019
  • 6 replies

IE11 become obsolete as Microsoft released Edge browser that is now supporting modern standards. We do not have any use for IE11 in our org and the app becomes only “patch” problem. We are removing it from our managed laptops.

EVALUATION CODE

$App = Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64 | Select-Object State

if ( $App -eq ‘Disabled’ ) {

Exit 0

} else { Exit 1 }

REMEDIATION CODE

Removal / Disable the IE11 Feature on Windows 10 host

6 replies

Unfortunately for those that use Terminal Services of some description, aka Remote Desktop IE still forms the default browser in Windows server product which is bonkers but that what it is.

Laptops/Desktop Edge is fine.

Userlevel 7

Is there a way to set that to something else for all the TS users? Maybe it’s something we can script into a worklet?

It gets worse. As a user of a large Travel Distribution solution and its software, use of IE is hard baked into the application so for us needs to be present on any device we plan to use the software which is most 😦

Am i missing something? where is the remediation part to the worklet? I only see the evaluation part

Check if IE11 present:

$App = Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64 | Select-Object State

if ( $App -eq ‘Disabled’ ) {
Exit 0
} else { Exit 1 }

Remove IE11

Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

can someone post what the official evaluation and remediation codes are for this? would love to see this working. I’m assuming the “Check if IE11 Present” is the evaluatoin portion, looks like 5 lines of code between both parts? Then the “Remove IE11” looks like it’s the remediation code? someone please confirm.

Ok, scrolled up to get evaluation code, then the “Remove IE11” above looks like remediation code?

Sorry, still learning scripting and code here

thanks