What are your naming themes or conventions?

Userlevel 7

Here all our engineering teams are named after video games, such as Dr Mario, Zork, Space Invaders and Gauntlet. Do you name your servers or other tech after any themes?

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

I name my home devices from Norse mythology (Loki, Thor, Odin, Baldr, Freyja, among others).

Badge

XXX-SV-YYY-001

XXX = location shortcode

SV = Server

YYY = purpose shortcode (DCN for domain controller, WEB for webservers, etc)

001 = number LOL

For workstations we keep it even more simple:

XXX-DS0001 or XXX-LP0001

XXX = location shortcode

DS = Desktop

LP = Laptop

Only thing named here are UPS (Odin, Thor, Loki). New stuff will get named when I get around to replacing.

At work, we label them MTXXX (MT being related to the company name, the rest being whatever service its primary function is). For workstations, I keep it similar if it’s a laptop, but with a name shorthand tossed in, or I leave it generic if it’s a multi-use workstation.

At home, my servers are named around the Alien franchise. My big storage server is NOSTROMO, and my hypervisor is SEVASTOPOL, the station from Alien: Isolation. The guests are named after different decks.

LORENZ-SYSTECH-SPIRE runs some, uh, file related software.

SEEGSONCOMM is a Plex server.

SOLOMONS-HABITATION-TOWER is a DC that hosts WEYLAND.CORP on it.

My old Wi-Fi was Terminator themed, “Skynet Global Defense Network.”

Workstations are name the same as their asset tag.

Servers are typically what they are and where they are

such as

State-Location-Function-Number

Userlevel 7

I’m worried at all the people naming stuff after Loki. Given that he’s a trickster god, that seems like asking for trouble 🙂

Naming stuff after Loki

The server is down. No, it’s up again. No, it’s down again. No, it’s up again. Now it’s sideways somehow.

They were named that before I got here, and when I replaced the devices in December, I kept the names.

That’s friggin’ sweet. At work it is super boring (BANK, BRANCH, JOB [RCBTELLER1]), but at home I have my external drives and network shares named after different alcohol (Whiskey, Bourbon, Tequila, Bud Light, Scotch, etc.) and I have all of my PCs/VMs named “SkunkOS” or "SkunkWHAT IT’S USED FOR. (Domain at home is called Skunkworks, hence the Skunk names)

I had a file server that liked to crash/reboot/lose data for no reason once in a while. That’s the one I named Loki. All the others were fine, until Thor took a lightning bolt and fried pretty much all its internals 😢

At a previous job we had mx servers named Bender and Flexo.

A former coworker also told me about an unfortunate naming convention where they would designate computers with a letter for their function (e.g. W=Workstation, S=Server) followed by either the assigned user or purpose of the server. This lead to the regrettable email server name: SEXCHANGE

Oh my god I wish I could like that post… That’s absolutely hilarious!!! 🤣

Userlevel 7

That’s like this site before they put the hyphen in:

@dimforest knows allllll about that!

Badge

EE is such a lame site. I’m glad they kept a name that literally could mean something like that.