Question

Install PowerBI

• 23 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’m trying to install Microsoft PowerBI but I am running into a wall. I am doing it through the “Required Software” option for installing programs. I am using the following powershell to install it:

msiexec.exe /i "\\xxxxx\xxxxxx\Install Files\Power BI Desktop\PBIDesktopRS_x64.msi" /quiet ACCEPT_EULA=1

This exact powershell line works outside of automox and I can’t understand why it’s not working within the console. For added confusion, Automox say that it was successfully installed on the target computer but when I look at the programs installed on it that is not the case.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi aparker,

It appears you are trying to kick off the install from a network location.

It will be worth trying a copy-item command and then attempting install to help identify where its failing exactly.

Put a command like this in to handle the copy, and then try to install and we’ll see if that provides any more detail:

Copy-Item -Path //network/location/PBIDesktopRS_x64.msi -Destination c:/temp/PBIDesktopRS_x64.msi -Force

Additionally, I would revise the install command, just changing the format a little bit:
exit (Start-Process -FilePath 'msiexec.exe' -ArgumentList ('/qn', '/i', '"PBIDesktopRS_x64.msi", “ACCEPT_EULA=1”') -Wait -Passthru).ExitCode

Badge

Thanks for the info!  That worked.