Skip to main content
Question

Automox + Deep Freeze

• 8 August 2024
  • 4 replies

Good morning!

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had experience using Automox in an environment that has Deep Freeze enabled on some computers. I noticed Deep Freeze will keep the Windows Update service and BITS in a “Disabled” state throughout the day while the computer is frozen, but is supposed to turn it back on during the thaw periods overnight. I’m wondering if the Windows Update and BITS services being shut down all day could be what is preventing these systems from updating correctly, even though the services get turned back on overnight.

This seems to happen even if Deep Freeze is told to completely avoid doing anything with Windows Updates.

Thanks!

Hi @AOkanovic !

I can’t say that I’m experienced with Deep Freeze, but based on the behavior you are mentioning, I could see there being a potential conflict with Automox’s ability to see what patches are available and then scheduling them. 

With BITS and Windows Update Services in a disabled state, the Automox agent would not be able to “reach out” to Windows Update during an agent scan and see what packages are available. Those updates would then not get scheduled accordingly through your patch policies.

Worth mentioning that we do have Maintenance Windows on our Roadmap which should help with your environment’s reliance for DeepFreeze: https://discover.automox.com/c/roadmap

Thanks, the maintenance Windows should be very useful.

This may be related to Windows Update being Disabled all day,  but I’m seeing very unusual behavior from some computers with deep freeze where they will be showing as “Offline” in Automox during the Deep Freeze thaw periods even though all the services are running and the PC is online. Is there anything else we can check or restart besides the services that could potentially cause it to be down?

I wouldn’t anticipate that Deep Freeze would put an Automox device in a disconnected state. It would likely just prevent Automox from seeing what patches are available for that device and performing the actual updates. 

If you are seeing the Automox agent service is running but the device is showing as Disconnected in your console, it could be something different altogether. I’ve seen similar behavior before with Endpoint protection or network appliances, where if the proper allowlisting rules are not in place, the agent cannot reach api.automox.com and get into a connected state.

I would start by ensuring those affected devices are running the latest Automox agent.  I would then look at the aforementioned allowlisting and EPP rules.

If all those things are in place and those systems still aren’t connecting, you can open a ticket with Automox Support to assist with additional troubleshooting: https://help.automox.com/

fjxfjfmfxf