Just Released - Flexible Device Targeting by Active Directory Organizational Units

• 24 August 2021
  • 5 replies
Just Released - Flexible Device Targeting by Active Directory Organizational Units
Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey Automox Community!

I’m excited to announce that we’ve released an enhancement to the Flexible Device Targeting feature today. The new enhancement surfaces Active Directory Organizational Units as another filter option, so you will now be able to target devices based on their OU information.

Whenever there’s a device scan, Automox will query the OU information for each device, and you can use the Flexible Device Targeting feature to create a filter. The OU information is surfaced in a path format, and you’ll be able to do a partial and exact string match on the path.

Here’s a screenshot of what this looks like:

For more information, check out the updated documentation links:

As always, we’d love to hear your feedback on this new feature:

• What use case does this capability help you with?

• What other enhancements could we add to make Flexible Device Targeting even more powerful and helpful for you?

Cheers!

Vania

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

This feature is very useful to us. Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

So happy to hear that @David_Mitchell!!

Badge

This feature could be useful to some organizations depending on how your AD OUs are setup and how you group your workstations in Automox. However, we have our Automox workstations grouped by department and OU targeting wouldnt really help us. We would, however, GREATLY benefit from targeting based off of Security Groups. This would certainly be a game changer.

Userlevel 3
Badge

So the first worklet we configured for Device Targeting by AD OU ran on devices outside the scope. I am working with support on this to determine the cause. luckily it wasn’t a big problem for us, just a registry key update that eventually needed to go out to all devices anyway. Support had me create a test worklet policy of Exit 1, Exit 0 and test again. It too ran on ALL devices in the targeted groups, not just the workstations in the device targeting by OU. Just a heads up that people might want to test this before they use it to roll out an important targeted change.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for the info @David_Mitchell! I’ll check in with our support team and get more details on what happened here. If it’s a bug, we’ll make sure to get this fixed.