Solved

Win 11 Target Release Issue

• 24 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi all,

Has anyone had issues with a feature update showing for a device in Automox after setting the target release version in registry?

This is the second time I’ve had this issue.

I set the target release version to 23h2, enabling it with the value of 1, and specifying the product version of win 11. Once I set those values, I rescan the machine and usually the update is showing as a patch for the device in Automox, but in this case, it isn’t. The device is win 11 ready.

Any ideas?

This is the PS script I’m using to push out the reg keys. I’ve ran this on 20+ devices and the update shows up with no issues.

#># Define Values in this section
#############################################
$rValue = '1' #Enable Target Release Version 0 = Disabled, 1 = Enabled
$rInfoValue = '23h2' #Specify Windows 11 Target Release Version. Select the preferred version from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/
$rWindows = 'Windows 11' #Specify Windows 11
#############################################
$rPath = 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate'
$rKeyPath = 'HKLM:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows'
$rVersion = 'TargetReleaseVersion'
$rVersionInfo = 'TargetReleaseVersionInfo'
$rVersionWindows = 'ProductVersion'
try {
if(-not(Test-Path -path $rPath)){
New-Item -Path $rPath -Force -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null
}
Write-Output "SUCCESS: Target Release Version keys set`t"
New-ItemProperty -Path $rPath -Name $rVersion -PropertyType DWord -Value $rValue -Force -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null
Write-Output "$rpath exists`t"
New-ItemProperty -Path $rPath -Name $rVersionInfo -PropertyType String -Value $rInfoValue -Force -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null
New-ItemProperty -Path $rPath -Name $rVersionWindows -PropertyType String -Value $rWindows -Force -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null
Write-Output "$rVersion = $rvalue and $rVersionInfo = $rInfoValue`t" Exit 0
} catch { $Exception = $error[0].Exception.Message + "`nAt Line " + $error[0].InvocationInfo.ScriptLineNumber
Write-Error $Exception
Exit 90
}

icon

Best answer by MarkH-Automox 24 January 2024, 16:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi catied,

Is the machine in question currently on Windows 10 or 11?

Are there any external factors potentially at play such as intune/wsus?

Badge

Hey Mark! It’s currently on Win 10, 22h2. Nothing external in play

Userlevel 4
Badge

Create and run this Worklet from the catalog: https://console.automox.com/manage/worklet-catalog/0116a876-0f71-5b6e-b19e-69f3e8c2ff90

The code snippet in the OP is for managing feature updates on the currently installed OS version. The template should put you on the latest Win11 version (23H2).

Badge

This worklet actually does not work for us. I’ve had 0 luck with the installation assistant, so that’s why I’ve been doing it via the target release version and then a policy to just install the Windows 11, version 23H2 update once it’s “active” in automox for that device.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Feel free to send me a DM with the endpoint in question, or lets get a support case going by sending an email to support@automox.com, or by visiting our knowledge base (recommended).
https://help.automox.com/hc/en-us/categories/5056764000404-Help

Badge

Mark, I went ahead and submitted a support case!