Solved

Required software worklet failing

• 15 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Using the built in worklet(required software)  to deploy our required software but it is now failing every install. Proper named .msi uploaded in payload etc. Here is the code and any insight would be awesome. thanks!

exit (Start-Process -FilePath 'msiexec.exe' -ArgumentList ('/qn', '/i', '"Win-Full-8_3_x64.msi"') -Wait -Passthru).ExitCode

icon

Best answer by KyleG-Automox 15 May 2024, 23:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Usually the only error output is

Failed to install software: 

Today though we did get the following

Failed to install software: Exception calling "DownloadFile" with "2" argument(s): "The remote name could not be resolved: 
'command-storage-cdn.prod.automox.com'"
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Automox\execDir158658023\execcmd519076378.ps1:12 char:1
+ $web.DownloadFile('https://command-storage-cdn.prod.automox.com/a3ccd ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebException

Userlevel 1

Hey CallmePH!

Based on the output I don’t believe the installer code is the problem. It looks like the error you’re getting is the device is unable to reach our servers to download the package file from it, which is why you’re seeing this in the output:

"The remote name could not be resolved: 
'command-storage-cdn.prod.automox.com'"

My suggestion would be to review our Firewall documentation provided here and ensure Automox can successfully communicate with your devices. Specifically, you want to ensure http://automox-policy-files.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ is not being blocked by your Firewall, VPN, or Proxy rules.

If you continue to have issues, please submit a ticket to help.automox.com and our Support team can help you troubleshoot further!

Thank you,

Kyle Gregg

Userlevel 3
Badge

Would there have been a wider spread issue with other deployments though? We have several required software worklets going and all install, on the same machines this one fails.

Userlevel 1

Would there have been a wider spread issue with other deployments though? We have several required software worklets going and all install, on the same machines this one fails.

In some cases no, it could be unique to a device for a number of reasons. For example, a device could be in a specific security group that most devices aren’t apart of so it would fail based on the rules of said group.

One thing you can try is open a Wireshark session, run the Worklet, and check for any of the URLs in the results. This should give you an indication at which part of the Worklet is failing.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Will give it a run and see what I can find out. Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge

If the firewall route is the answer we use,  does it need to be command-storage-cdn.prod.automox.com  or automox-policy-files.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com, or both?