Question

Has anyone had any success with the Windows - Configuration - Windows 11 Feature Update worklet?

• 29 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have ran this worklet on 3 or 4 machines now and I can see the processes running in Task Manager, but the machine never reboots and never updates to 11.

I saw a thread on checking for registry entries and removing them but they aren’t present. 

Just curious if anyone has had success with this.

7 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi @dfowler37 !

That worklet invokes the Windows Installation Assistant silently to download and cache the Windows 11 Feature Update.  It can take several hours to run depending on the device specifications and network bandwidth.

Since you are seeing the Windows 11 Setup process running in Task Manager, that tells me it is in the process of downloading the upgrade.

You should see the setup folder for Windows 11 under C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\

I found this folder to be around 20-30GB in size when the upgrade is fully cached.

Are you seeing this folder on the device?

Side note, I am in the process of releasing another Windows 11 Feature Update worklet that uses an ISO as the installation method.  Hope to have that one in the Catalog in about a week or so!

Badge

I only see a Sources folder.

Userlevel 3

That sounds accurate! The full path is C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\sources\Panther
What is the file size of that folder?

Within the folder there’s two files that might help with troubleshooting too.
setupact.log - Contains all setup actions during the upgrade.
setuperr.log - Contains all errors encountered during the installation phase.

If you see the setuperr file it should expose any errors that occurred. If you want to share that with me, I can take a look and see if there’s anything telling.

Badge

The Panther folder is only 27.8MB. 

I have the setuperr.log file.

Only think i see repeating a lot is

2023-11-28 13:06:48, Error                 CONX   aeinv: ERROR,Application::Retrieve,2320,AmiUtilityRegGetValue failed [2]

and

2023-11-28 13:09:09, Error                 SP     Failure while getting the known folder path for CSIDL_PRINTHOOD (S-1-5-21-4003929985-775420127-3309681083-1001): Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified. [0x00000002] class UnBCL::String *__cdecl Mig::CFacadeUser::GetKnownFolderLocation(class UnBCL::String *,int *,class UnBCL::String **)

I can send it to you if i need to for you to take a look. 

It may be a network issue but it doesn’t pin point anything being blocked.

Userlevel 3

Thanks!

That error doesn’t seem pertinent, but I’d have to take a look at the rest of the log for context. Feel free to share it with me via a DM!

If you are able, I’d recommend running the Windows 11 Installation Assistant manually on a device as a control and to determine if there is an underlying network or EPP block somewhere.  If that fails, you should see more clearly what went wrong within the UI.

Badge

We have ran Windows Installation Assistant may times in our environment recently without issues so i can’t see anything blocking it. 

I tried sending you a message but i don’t see a way to attach a file. I am new to Automox Community so it is taking some getting used to.

Userlevel 3

Just sent you a DM!