Install Nessus Agent (Tenable) - Windows

• 12 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey guys,

New to Automox and enjoying the tool so far!

Been looking through the existing worklets and found how easy it was to deploy Crowdstrike. Figured I might add that the same logic can be applied to the Tenable ‘Nessus Agent’ as well using only the ‘Remediation script’.

You can use the following example parameters below:

msiexec /i "NessusAgent-X.X.X-x64.msi" NESSUS_GROUPS="GroupName" NESSUS_SERVER="cloud.tenable.com:443" NESSUS_KEY=InsertKeyHere /qn

Cheers!

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Thanks for sharing that!

Userlevel 5

Got an update on this install script. Working with one of our customers we came up with an install script that should allow exit codes to be reported back to the activity log.

exit (Start-Process -FilePath ‘msiexec.exe’ -ArgumentList (‘NESSUS_GROUPS=“TC_Windows_10” NESSUS_SERVER=“cloud.tenable.com:443” NESSUS_KEY=REMOVED /qn’, ‘/i’, ‘“NessusAgent7.7.0x64.msi”’) -Wait -Passthru).ExitCode

Userlevel 4
Badge

Legend; we quite literally wrote one yesterday too! Almost identical.

exit (Start-Process -FilePath ‘msiexec.exe’ -ArgumentList (’/qn’, ‘/i’, ‘“NessusAgent-7.6.3-x64.msi”’, ‘NESSUS_GROUPS=“GROUPNAME”’, ‘NESSUS_SERVER=“cloud.tenable.com:443”’, ‘NESSUS_KEY=REMOVED’) -Wait -Passthru).ExitCode

I’ve tried both start-process methods here and couldn’t get either to work on Server 2019 using the 8.3.1 x64 installer. I finally got this version to work in the execution code. The main difference is the lack of parenthesis around the argumentlist section and the single quote around the msi filename.

exit (Start-Process -FilePath ‘msiexec.exe’ -ArgumentList ‘/l* c:\temp\nessus-install-log.txt’, ‘/qn’, ‘/i’, ‘NessusAgent-8.3.1-x64.msi’, ‘NESSUS_GROUPS=“Servers”’, ‘NESSUS_SERVER=“cloud.tenable.com:443”’, ‘NESSUS_KEY=12345removed678’ -Wait -Passthru).ExitCode