Patch Tuesday Rundown - April 2021

• 14 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

Yesterday marked the fourth Patch Tuesday of 2021! April’s Patch Tuesday yielded 108 new Microsoft security fixes, delivering the highest monthly total for 2021 (so far) and showing a return to the 100+ totals we consistently saw in 2020.

Included in this month are 19 critical vulnerabilities and a high-severity zero-day that’s currently being exploited in the wild, CVE-2021-28310. This vulnerability is a locally exploited Windows Win32K elevation of privilege bug. To exploit it, an attacker would first have to log on to the system, then run a specially crafted application. The exploitation of this vulnerability would allow an attacker to execute code in the context of the kernel and gain SYSTEM privileges, allowing the attacker access to critical Windows components and information.

Not only was Microsoft subject to a number of security fixes, Adobe released four security updates covering seven critical vulnerabilities across Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Digital Editions, Adobe Bridge, and RoboHelp. APSB21-28 addresses two critical arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities found in Adobe Photoshop while APSB21-23 tackles four additional arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities in Adobe Bridge.

Plus, it’s hard not to mention the zero-day remote code execution vulnerability that was posted on Twitter that works on the current version of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

You can find all of the Patch Tuesday updates from Microsoft, Google, and Adobe in our monthly Patch Tuesday Index. And you can find a highly detailed analysis of these patches from our Automox experts here.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

It was another good webinar! I had a quick question regarding the vulnerability associated with Agents older than 1.0.31. I’m under the assumption the agents automatically update on their own, but I see we have around 150 or so machines that haven’t updated from 1.0.30 to 1.0.31. Is there an additional step I need to take for this or what’s the process associated for updating the agent?

Userlevel 7

You shouldn’t need to take any additional steps. If there are ones showing the old version and aren’t updating for some reason you can either uninstall and reinstall the newest agent, or contact support and they can see what’s holding those agents up (like a stuck command) and resolve that on the back end. Or they might tell you to reinstall if that’s the best fix.

Userlevel 4

It would be great if on the devices page if there was a option in the column to add agent version for a quick glance at this

Userlevel 7

That’s a common request and @BrandonCampbell put in a ticket for the PM’s to triage and prioritize. In the meantime, you can export from the Devices page and the agent version is one of the columns in the csv file. Same thing for API calls.

Userlevel 4

Hi Nic

I wondered if the agent column would export from the devices page if it isn’t a column option on the page.

It didn’t. Here’s what exported.

Device Name Device ID Disconnect Time Disconnected For Last Logged In User Group Tags IP Address OS OS Version Total Patches Scheduled Patches Status

Userlevel 7

My bad, I misremembered what the export included. The API should do the trick, and there’s a beta report on the way that will let you see the agent version.