Where were you when the Berlin Wall came down?

Today is the 30th anniversary of the Berlin Wall being torn down. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing (if you’re old enough)?

Our own @ValB was there on the day it happened and she shared some photos with us that she took at the time:

It was the chance of a lifetime. I was living in southern Germany when the wall fell. I didn’t know what it would be like, but I knew I wanted to be there to see it with my own eyes. There was pure joy oozing out of everyone. Too bad that was a fleeting emotion.

1 Like

That is pretty amazing. Thank you for sharing those pictures. I do remember watching the wall come down on TV and punks just grabbing pieces of the wall… anything they could to dismantle. It feels like a dream to me as I can only remember bits of it. My aunt was living in West Berlin as my Uncle at the time was stationed over there for the Army. I remember we had to send her VHS tapes of Falcon Crest because she didn’t want to miss Falcon Crest, or Dynasty… There is a great book that came out recently called Burning Down the Haus about living in Germany as a punk pre-Wall coming down. I highly recommend it: https://www.amazon.com/Burning-Down-Haus-Revolution-Berlin-ebook/dp/B079VXBZ6Y

2 Likes

That looks like a cool book - I’ll have to check it out!

1 Like

By the time Berlin wall came down we had our revolution behind us in the former Czechoslovakia. Crazy and very emotional times in Eastern Europe at the end of 1989 …

2 Likes

That sounds like a crazy time. Any stories from that time that you’re able to share @owl-IT?

Yes, it was crazy. At the time as was on active duty in military and we did not know what will happen. We were all called back to bases and put on high alert for few days before. Everybody was under stress. We were hoping that Communist party will not go crazy and issue order to move on people in streets in order to push back the revolution. That was very important moment so all went without blood in streets and really got over very smooth. Regime stepped down and people could get on with their lives and start new era. It was better than 1968 when Russians moved in with military to help regime an stayed (“helping us”) over 20 years …

2 Likes