What was your first job?

We’re having that discussion in our Slack channel today, and @nate thought it would be a good community thread as well.

My first job was working in a deli, slicing meat with that scary machine. Fortunately I didn’t lose any fingers!

How about your first job? What was unique and interesting about it?

2 Likes

My first job was cleaning “refurbished” dialysis machines made in West Germany using industrial bleach cleaners (that had carcinogen warnings in big font).

2 Likes

Go look up Chris Hemsworth’s first job, Gavin.

“Hemsworth began his career by appearing in several television series.” Ah cool

That was totally not what I was expecting:

I can’t actually remember which was first, it was either a bike store, for which I worked for no money but got a mountain bike at the end of the summer. Or the dry cleaner. An old guy came in every week, could barely walk or see, and he drove himself…

I spent my summers in vineyards tending to grapes and driving four-wheelers all over the place.

My first non-summer job was in a retirement home dining hall. The amount of people that ate the same thing every day was crazy. So many of them would only drink straight buttermilk with their meals–it was quite a scene if we ran out.

My first job was a seasonal position at Party Packagers, who was later bought by Party City. I worked seasonal two years in a row at Halloween.

Did you get to stomp the grapes??

My first job was bagging groceries in high school. Nothing glamorous, but it was money in my pocket. I quickly left that job and moved to a new store from another chain in their Prepared Foods dept selling rotisserie chickens and sides from their counter. I actually enjoyed it as I love to cook and I stayed there long enough to get to actually make many of the items we sold; I eventually worked at Whole Foods as a chef for 2 years before moving into IT permanently.

2 Likes

My first job was working as a student counselor at a special needs program on weekends at my local community center.

1 Like

My first job was a restaurant called Little Anita’s. Decent food, but I quickly learned food service was not going to be my industry of choice. I moved to manual labor jobs like setting up events after that summer. Once set up Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe’s wedding.

2 Likes

My first gig was when I was a wee lad in Southern California for a knock-off Humane Society called Humane League. I was too young to legally work but somehow my parents worked a deal to get me paid in cash to help walk the dogs and feed them for a few hours each day.

My first legal job was at KFC and I’ve never hated humanity more than when I worked at KFC. I’d rather go back to Iraq and take a job selling bibles in Sadr City than work KFC ever again. Only job that I ever no-call no-showed my way out the door.

3 Likes

I worked at Party Land and got really good at wrapping gifts.

1 Like

Can I hire you to do my xmas wrapping @arielUX?

1 Like

My first actual job was at Toy R Us. Terrible place to work, actually, which was pretty disappointing.

1 Like

My first job was soldering broken police radio handsets. It was actually pretty sweet, my boss had a shed with a stereo that I did all the work in. Listen to music all day as loud as you want :metal:

1 Like

Go my first job at 15 after being asked not to come back to school by the principle. Worked as a dishwasher for a small family owned Italian restaurant at 75 cents an hour :moneybag:
I ended up working there for about 3 years learning how to make pizza dough :pizza: breads :bread: and other dishes :shallow_pan_of_food:
For a while I thought I would become a chef.

2 Likes

How dare you ruin my childhood. You take that back!

1 Like

Wrapper in a grocery store. Loads of funny stories from that one.

So… Paper or plastic? Will you need help to bring these to your car? Sure Karen, I’ll get a manager.

2 Likes