What are you working on today?

And how is it going so far?

Today I’m reaching out to people to see if they’d like to do a short written interview for the community. If anyone is interested, let me know

1 Like

I am starting my second day learning the Go language. Having been programming for roughly 15 years, it is always a fascinating experience learning a new language. So much is similar but important differences are found immediately. You need to let go of certain ingrained habits from previous languages and keep your neural plasticity strong. The funniest (sarcasm?) part is when you switch back to working in another programming language and you start writing both languages without thinking. Plentry of squinting and saying to yourself, “Ok…what did I do wrong…”

3 Likes

How are you liking Go so far? I’ve read good things about it but never had the opportunity to dive in.

1 Like

Migrated the last of our linux boxes to my Nutanix cluster so now I’ve been taking some time PATCHING them and conforming them to the naming standard. I have some Windows patching to do next week that I plan on trying Automox out with.

3 Likes

It’s…different. Someone recently described it as the Communism of programming language and that seems a reasonable simile. The more I learn, the more I see how tightly and strongly held the maintainers’ opinions are. PHP has 20 ways to do a thing. Go may have 2 and woe is the programmer who tries to be clever. First thoughts. It may be a slow to develop love affair.

2 Likes

Trying to fix a long-standing, very specific, edge-case issue in our datawarehouse database. Since I’m one of the very very few people who worked on that database, it’s probably my fault :sweat_smile: That, and my everyday development and support duties.

2 Likes

Do you have a new guy? You can definitely pin blame on them.

3 Likes

Lol! I like the idea, but that would be easily provable it’s not the new guy’s fault since the issue has been there for so long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait, is this why @jarod.smilkstein is blaming everything on me??

2 Likes

I’m not the one blaming everything on you. That’s the new guy, Nic something.

4 Likes

Updates, deploying new Chromebooks/computers, credit card readers on the self check machines, missing printers, a locked up phone and whatever else gets tossed at me. Since it is Friday, I do get to leave early and will need a :cocktail:.

2 Likes

Mapping some holistic product testing plans, working with counterparts on some automated testing suites, and probably bailing a little early to play some VR and D&D at a friend’s house.

2 Likes

Just finished up the latest Sizzle article (includes an interview with @Nic ) LINK

Now I’m doing some cleanup in our DNS. Lot’s of old junk.

3 Likes

Fixing last minute bugs for a demo later this afternoon. It’s going to be fun.

2 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

What are you demoing?

1 Like

Demoing a new feature to the sales/implementation team. I think it went well. It was supposed to be a basic feature, but I think they expected something much more, shall I say, “complete”.

2 Likes

Well, today I’m working on my appetite. Going to my wife’s aunt’s house for lots of food. When I get back, however, I’ll be working on my homelab some more. Just got a NAS with 16TB so that’ll be fun to put to use :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Today I’m here working on that 10 straight days logging in badge :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not sure how many days I’ve been logged in consecutively so I guess I’ll have to keep logging in until the end of time. :wink:

2 Likes