• Do-si-dos/Peanut Butter Sandwich
  • Shortbread/Trefoils
  • Thanks-A-Lot
  • Toffee-tastic (gluten-free)
  • Caramel Chocolate Chip (gluten-free)
  • Girl Scout S’mores

0 voters

Tis the season for GS cookies - our own @jon.verson has his office store setup:

Vote for your favorite cookie above and explain why in the replies!

Fun fact: did you know that girl scout cookies are made by two different bakeries?

Not seeing my favorite option: “The whole sleeve”

1 Like

Why is this even a question? Samoas are so far superior to every other cookie that it’s not even a competition.

They have two bakeries for gluten requirements, right?

I think they’ve always had two bakeries. I worked with someone at Ping Identity who used to work for the Girl Scouts, and she told me all about it. I’m not sure if those bakeries do the gf cookies themselves, or just outsource those to a fully gf facility.

I think I’ve only had the mint ones so they win my vote by default.

I’m not a big sweets guy but the caramel ones or the shortbread, I guess. While we’re on this topic though, I am so frustrated with the stupid boy scouts. Girl scouts kill it each year with these cookies. What do the boy scouts do?

“Hey you wanna buy some crappy rebranded popcorn?”

NO. NO I DO NOT. You can buy their non-boy scout version of the SAME EXACT BRAND OF POPCORN at Aldi for almost half the price.

What should they be selling instead of corn nuggets? Freaking meat and meat snacks. You roll up to my abode and ask me about popcorn and I’m gonna start blastin. You waltz up with a box full of meat?

“WHY YES LAD, I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE A TRANSACTION.”

Why aren’t they selling beef jerky, slim jims, friggan brats, bacon, jars of mayo, and other meats?

Such a wasted opportunity.

4 Likes

You may be overpaying at Aldi then. Some of the bags of popcorn from Boy Scouts are topping $25-30 a bag.

My larger frustration is with both programs being so fundraising centric. I had my daughters in Girl Scouts for a bit, but ultimately we stopped going. Every meeting, nearly year round, focused on cookie sales, driving cookie sales, preparing for cookie sales, counting cookie sales. I really thought it was sending the wrong message.

So full disclosure, I never did scouts of any kind and spent a good chunk of my time overseas making fun of the Cav Scouts and giving them fake merit badges for stuff like “forgot to flush the portapotty” and such… but do they actually do ANYTHING other than sell junk? Do they still teach kids how to tie knots, start a fire, skin a person, etc or is that not a thing anymore?

I can’t speak to Boy Scouts, but Girl Scouts were very lackluster on non-fundraising content. The final straw for us was when they encouraged us to purchase several cases of cookies extra to sell in the off season. It was a step too far.

To be fair it does prepare one’s children for a life of working in the corporate sector :slight_smile:

In case anyone is in the same boat as me, and misses thin mints after having to give up gluten, these are a pretty close facsimile:

@dimforest maybe it’s just me, but meatsnacks seems way more outdoorsy and scoutish than a tin full of soggy popcorn.

2 Likes

So I never went full into Scouts, but when I was younger I did Cub Scouts (?? pretty sure) and we sold apples. I remember it not being the main focus, and it was also not targeted at a specific gender, probably half our troop was female.
I never got my skinning badge, no one would ever stay still long enough to get a good start, but I for sure got things like identifying proper bike hand signs, finding the most natural mayonnaise out in the middle of the woods after being knocked out and left to survive as a rite-of-passage, camping. Some kind of boring stuff they make kids do, I’m sure, it feels like a lifetime ago since I thought about it before today.

If they started selling Beef Jerky to raise money I’d contribute all of my money and eat it forever.

1 Like

In case you missed it, they are now selling Girl Scout cookies online, due to the pandemic:

1 Like