Any musicians in the community?

Since I’ve been in IT, one of the question I keep getting asked by fellow IT people is “Do you play music?”. More often than not, the answer is “Yes”. In the last few years, the question morphed from “Do you play music?” to “What instrument do you play?”. I don’t know if it’s a company culture thing or if it’s generalized, but I want to ask the community here: do you play music, and if so, what instrument(s) do you play?

I started to play guitar when I was about 10. Albeit not a very good player, I enjoy it. I picked up harmonica two years ago, that I’m also not particularly good at, but it’s fun to annoy the dogs :laughing: Last year I started learning bass, and I am steadily making progress. I own RockSmith for XBox One that I often use with my guitar and bass. It makes learning new songs fun. Fun fact: the first song I decided to learn after picking up bass was Iron Maiden’s The Trooper, instead of, say, Bob Marley’s Three Little Birds. That was a fun few months of finger pain :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nope! I’ve always wanted to learn the piano though.

1 Like

I play the flute. My parents made all of my siblings and I take music lessons. They did let us pick the instrument though. For the life of me I can’t remember why I picked the flute at age 7. Rock Band gave me the basics of drumming, since it actually follows the notes of the song.

There’s a lot of musicians here at Automox. Last all hands meeting one of the new hires mentioned they played the drums and it brought up the conversation of when we were going to start the Automox band. Any suggestions for what we should name it?

1 Like

I don’t play it very often anymore, but I played the trumpet through most of college. Occasionally, I’ll walk past it in the basement and pull it out to jam a bit with my wife on the piano. Being out of practice makes it sound pretty bad–even relative to my skill level–but it’s still a good time.

I do regret never putting effort into piano or guitar while my hands were young enough to really learn it. So my kids are going to be taught both while they’re still little, even if they don’t continue to pursue it after.

4 Likes

I used to play guitar, but it was just so I could listen to video game music when I didn’t have access to my computers. I broke my guitar a while ago and haven’t repaired it or gotten a new one since.

1 Like

I played Clarinet up through college. I occasionally play it. Maybe if we start a jazz band or a klezmer band. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cello through high school. Picked up cymbals just so I could march them at CU (worth it!) and then picked up trumpet so I could play in the basketball band (double worth it!). Learning those took me on trips to a Big XII championship games, Big XII basketball tournaments, 2 bowl games, and 1 NCAA tournament.

4 Likes

Yeah! I play guitar, banjo, and cello, and used to have a one man acoustic band setup in high school and college.

4 Likes

Ok, I’m gonna have to ask for pictures of that :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s really cool to see a lot of you are playing instruments!

It’s never too late to learn to play one, even if it’s kazoo :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played 1st chair trumpet in my high school marching band and then in a small jazz band (lots of Glen Miller!). A bit of piano and guitar.

2 Likes

Nice! I played trumpet in marching band as well, but I was nowhere near good enough to be first chair lol!

1 Like

I just remembered: in first year of high school we had half the year art classes, and the other half music classes. The remaining 4 years, you got to choose art or music for the whole year. I (very badly) played French horn. Although it was interesting, I didn’t take music the following years because I didn’t like the teacher…

3 Likes

I used to do a good rendition of the Imperial March from Star Wars by clicking my teeth together…but then I grew up and realized how horrible that was.

1 Like

I’m going to start calling you Conrad:

3 Likes

I’m a drummer and I’ve been playing/singing for twenty years now.

Welcome @moderngal - we might have to enlist you to join the Automox band when we form one!

Ha :slight_smile: Definitely! Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

Years of piano, drums and lately banjo.

2 Likes