An Interview with...Dustin Riley, of Automox

Hi, everybody - Chad here. In this month’s “An Interview With…” series, we’ve got Automox’s own @dustin! Again, if you’d like to be included in our “An Interview With…” series, just let me know in the comments or shoot me a DM. Not you, @dimforest. And now, here’s Dustin!

Tell us a bit about yourself!

Hi, everyone! My name is Dustin Riley. I currently spend most of my time in Columbus, OH with my fiancée and two dogs, Albert and Duck. I graduated with a degree in Computer Science from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Prior to Automox, I spent time at Eli Lilly, Nationwide Financial, several other startups, and even ran my own freelance shop. I love working in this space and first started programming in high school to make mods for some of my favorite video games.

What do you do at Automox?

I’m a Software Engineering Manager for one of our applications teams. I typically work with the team as well as product and design to build a world class product with a high quality engineering culture. I spend a lot of time working to remove blockers and making sure the team is being given what they need to succeed.

How did you get your start here?

I had just finished leading a few projects in the neuroscience and diabetes spaces and was looking to move somewhere that was faster paced, had a different engineering culture, and would allow me to stay remote. While going through the interview process, I really enjoyed the conversations with everyone and was surprised by the transparency and constant desire to make incremental improvements. My first day was April 1st and I’ve been happy with my decision ever since!

What’s your favorite part of your job?

At the risk of sounding cliche, it’s the Automoxers I get to interact with every day. Everyone is uniformly pushing for the best possible product with a significant amount of customer empathy and respect for each other.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to travel and try new food, but covid has made that difficult :grimacing: Outside of that, I enjoy playing hockey, sailing, and exploring my new city! When I have the time, I still play some video games here and there.

Favorite food?

I grew up spending time at international festivals and it pushed me outside of my culinary comfort zone. Because of that, picking a singular favorite food is tough, but pad thai and fried chicken are my go to comfort foods.

Favorite color?

Just like Eiffel 65, I’m all about blue (da ba dee).

If you could be any kitchen utensil or appliance, what would you be and why?

I think I’d be a spork. It can do almost anything and you can bring it along for any situation.

Favorite quote, saying, or motto?

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” -Arthur C. Clarke

6 Likes