An interview with Dimforest

Next up in the interview series is @dimforest, who’s one of the most active participants both on this community and on Spiceworks. He also co-admins the Spiceworks Discord.

Dimforest taking his time in the military very seriously

Tell us a bit about yourself

I’m dimforest and I currently manage 9 sites for a company that makes labels for probably 90% of the products you buy. I also do Army things and generally just make a fool of myself pretty much everywhere on this planet. Other planets though - I’m pretty mature and cool.

How did you get your start in IT?

I always just assumed if you went to college for this, it’d be MUCH easier than what I did - start at the bottom and work your way up. I had zero professional background in technology but was able (through a lot of interviews and job hunting) to find a company which took a flier on me. The pay was extremely low and the job could’ve just been renamed to “IT Receptionist” but I knew that’d change. I learned as much as I could and did the best job I could and eventually was considered for a new role. From there I just continued to learn as much as possible and do a good job - putting in a LOT of extra hours and poking my head into projects I probably had no business being a part of. Eventually I got where I wanted to be and even then I still continued, as I do today, to move up. I don’t have a single second of college - just on the job experience. In my area that seems to catch a company’s eye much much more than somebody with a handful of certs and degrees.

Fast forward years and years later and I’ve got a great gig! I’ve done everything from IT Management, Desktop Support/Help Desk, Network Administration, whatever the hell “Senior Technical Analyst” is, and a toooooon of Systems Administration. It was a long journey getting here but it has paid off. The pay is great, the job is great, and I don’t go home wishing I didn’t have to wake up and do it all over again.

How did you hear about Automox?

Big… hair Nic.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I try to go to the gym every now and then so I can brag to co-workers that “omg my is sore from working out” and they’ll think “omg wow dimforest really takes care of himself” but in reality I mostly just work, play with my 2 kids, get yelled at by my 1 wife, and talk a lot more about games than I actually play them. If I’m not doing civilian work, I’m slaving away to Uncle Sam and taking care of training and crap for 78 people who were just as dumb as me and decided “lol army sounds fun.”

Favorite quote, saying or motto?

“99 is not 100”
or
“There are no facts, only interpretations”
and
“If boogers are just solidified snot… is poop just a solidified fart?”
BUT… if I’m being 100% honest, the only two quotes I consistently live by day to day and moment to moment are:
“Do the right thing” and “Anything worth doing is worth doing right” - both rehashed a billion times by my dad to young me to the point where no matter what I did wrong, he’d always start the interrogation off with asking me if I had applied those two quotes to the situation or if they were upheld.

Thanks for sharing your unique perspective on the world with us @dimforest :slight_smile: If you have any follow-up questions for dimforest, feel free to ask them by replying to this topic.

1 Like

HOLY SMOKES WHAT A STUD

1 Like

Thanks, I try :slight_smile:

1 Like

*succeed

Haha that’s an awesome picture.

1 Like

Never seen the strap between the fingers move. Who taught you that?
Do you find the compression shorts improve accuracy? I find them very useful for bear crawling situations.

1 Like

Looking at that setup and trying my best to remember that amazing moment in our people’s history: I was midway through changing out my kit and was planning on going to the range on base (This was in Basrah, Iraq) the next morning to zero it in. That sling was the stock sling they issue out. I used a different sling for 98% of that deployment but I believe I had lended it out to another soldier who was going out for a few days and would have to be carrying addtional load so the one-point sling was helpful for him.

Traditionally on my M4 for that deployment I had an EOTech optic with a FTS 3x or whatever sitting right behind it, the one-point sling which also could be used with just a clip on my vest. I never did the grips or bipods because they were unnecessary and anybody who tells you different and isn’t a sniper who lays in the prone all day is full of crap and doesn’t know what they’re talking about. The weapon as-is, minus the sights, is 100% ready to rock and optimized. Close quarters? Hug that sumbitch to your sternum by the magazine well. Long-distance? Get in the prone and widen out a bit for stability. Or be a goofball and grab as far down the barrel as your baby hands can handle without getting burnt or blocking the shooty hole on the other end.

Also, speaking of that FTS sight… I wouldn’t recommend it if you can avoid it. They’re nice to have but get in the way all the damn time and they’re fragile. I went through 3 of them before Supply just flat out told me “dude, no more.” And try to get a flip-down custom rear-sight so you can really clear your picture for the EOTech or CCO or ACOG. Lastly, ACOGs are only good in daylight. You know, when everybody is awake and ready for a fight? They are borderline worthless at night when you have the element of surprise or the enemy is sleepy because they were making bombs and poopbread all day long.

Compression shorts are good for helping hold stuff in when you forget to best utilize your 5 minutes of downtime before the next few hours of trucking or rucking. Depending on how you size them out and wedge them, they can also prevent chaffing or at least mitigate some of the friction. Despite what some dummies say, don’t freeball it because you’re gonna poop at some point and you need that extra container, just in case you aren’t at a good dropoff point.

Go team

2 Likes