An interview with bfrey

Number 4 in this interview series has us meeting @bfrey and learning about what he does for work and fun:

94_2

Tell us a bit about yourself

Hi, my name is Ben Frey and I enjoy solving problems, laughing, reading, all things related to technology, coffee, billiards, pizza, and creating efficiency. I work for a manufacturing company in New Holland, Pennsylvania (aka Amish Country) as the network and systems administrator.

How did you get your start in IT?

My father works in IT, so I have been in server rooms and working/playing around with computer systems since I can remember. I didn’t want to work in the IT field, but during college, I was hired by Schreiber Foods, Inc. as an information systems intern. I learned a lot during the 15-month internship about system administration, business operations, etc. That internship helped me land my first job after graduating and here I am almost 4 years later still in IT.

How did you hear about Automox?

I discovered Automox when I began searching for ways to streamline our patch management. I signed up for a trial and have been using it ever since.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I coach middle school basketball so spare time is limited, but I love taking a good nap.

Favorite quote, saying or motto?

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.” - Robert Morrison

Thanks for the interview! I especially like your quote from Robert Morrison, who I’d never heard of before. If you have any follow-up questions for Ben post them below.

3 Likes

Welcome @bfrey! Thanks for the interview. Did you play basketball yourself? Do you have a favorite team? And could you please tell @gavin that McDonald’s isn’t the best coffee in the world?

2 Likes

Literally dollar for dollar, pound for pound, nothing is better. @bfrey knows.

Do you enjoy working in IT now? Level of enjoyment 1-10 (10 being the best thing ever!)?

2 Likes

I’d give working in IT a solid 8/10

2 Likes

Hi Jarod, thank you for the warm welcome to the Automox Community! I did play basketball all through grade school and 2 years in high school. I enjoyed every minute and wish I could do it all over again. My favorite NBA team is the Detroit Pistons, and my favorite college team is the Duke Blue Devils. I hope to make it to Cameron Indoor Stadium one of these years for a Duke game. Regarding coffee, I haven’t had McDonald’s coffee in a very long time so I’m going to go grab some here shortly and I’ll let you and @gavin know!

2 Likes

Overall, yes, I really enjoy working in IT. On a scale of 1 - 10, I rate it at a 7. I take pride in my job and career, plus I enjoy learning, so that outweighs the negatives of this type of work.

1 Like