Favorite IT books?

Userlevel 7

I’m a huge fan of Tom Limoncelli and everything he’s written. TPOSANA opened my eyes about many things in IT. I was fortunate enough to see him talk and hang out with him at SpiceWorld 2013 & 2014.

What are your favorite books about the practice of IT?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Maybe not quite what you are asking for, but Design Patterns by Erich Gamma, John Vlissides, Richard Helm, and Ralph Johnson.

It was a recommended reading on college and it was really interesting. It was a sad day when it didn’t fit in my luggage when I relocated. It’s still at my parents place.

Badge

I’ve referenced some guides here and there but I can’t say I’ve honestly ever read an IT book, cover to cover.

The books I read are reference books and are not meant to be read cover-to-cover anyway, unless you want to absolutely read the 3500 pages of the Deitel Complete C# Reference 42nd Edition…

Badge

You really should. It picks up about halfway through and the twist at the end will leave you speechless.

“He was writing code in an unsafe block, and you’ll never believe what happens on page 2468!”

I have a few For Dummies books, a couple CompTIA books, and loads of others that I haven’t yet read nor can I remember the names of, but my favorites would have to be the For Dummies ones; I’m a dummy and those things are easy to understand. 😉

Userlevel 7

This book helped me a lot:

He illustrates all the protocols with examples from his LAN. Especially fascinating is when he finds and demonstrates errors in the implementations on various operating systems.

Badge

Can’t say any of the “IT” books I have read were a favorite. I read them to learn and most of those were back in College days, long long ago. Subjects like OSI model, binary or TCP/IP aren’t usually read to enjoy.

I have no favorite, but I do have a lot of books at my fingertips. lol

Badge

Do you wear book gloves?

No, but I do go through a lot of hand sanitizer.